Intensive Applied Counselling Diploma
8 months Diploma
Full time or part time study
In-person (Downtown Brandon Campus)
6 weeks/120 hours
Facilitated by the Institute
based on student interest
What will this certificate do for me?
Graduates of the Intensive Applied Counselling Diploma program will be well-prepared to apply for a variety of support roles in the social services field including counsellor, mental health worker, crisis worker and more
- Manitoba grade 12 or equivalent
- Current criminal record check
- Current child abuse registry check
- Current adult abuse registry check
- Mature students accepted
Students in the online version will require access to computer devices at home. Students in the in-person offering may also be required to bring these devices to the learning centre.
There are many options available to students to assist with education related expenses including both textbooks and tuition. Please contact us to find out more about funding options and costs of the program.
To graduate from this certificate program, students must successfully complete all 12 academic courses and the 6-week practicum placement.
- The Basics of Helping Relationships
- The Basics of Mental Health Challenges
- The Basics of Substance Use Disorder
- Introduction to Indigenous Health
- Introduction to Social Determinants of Health
- Fundamentals of Case Management
- Introduction to Motivational Interviewing
- Basic Pharmacology in Mental Health
- Mental Health Through the Lifespan
- Applied introduction to dialectical behaviour therapy
- Applied introduction to therapeutic groups
- Applied introduction to trauma counselling
- 6-Week Practicum
Why choose LINKS Institute?
LINKS Institute offers an innovative solution for people who are passionate about social justice, want further education, and want to start working as soon as possible.
Our intensive 7-8 month programs allows students to gain the theory and skills they need to be successful in community and social service settings, and start their career journey.
Our instructors hold a minimum of a master’s degree in a related field, and some are PhDs. At LINKS Institute you are coached by experts who have your goals in mind.
What kinds of jobs can I get with this program, and what do they pay?
The LINKS Institute Intensive Applied Counselling Diploma program is designed to set you up for success in support roles in mental health services.
Job titles in these fields include:
- Addictions worker
- Coach, life skills
- Community centre co-ordinator
- Community counsellor – social services
- Community mental health worker
- Community rehabilitation worker
- Crisis intervention worker
- Drug addiction worker
- Group home operator
- Halfway house supervisor
- Life skills coach
- Mental health proctor
- Mental health worker
- Rehabilitation service worker
- Rehabilitation worker – social services
- Residence co-ordinator – group home
- Residential counsellor – group home
- Shelter supervisor – social services
- Social rehabilitation officer
- Substance abuse worker
- Supervised access worker
- Supervisor, women’s shelter – social services
You could earn between $29,432 and $71,468 in Manitoba in these types of positions.
LINKS Institute offers opportunity
The Intensive Applied Counselling Diploma is designed for people who are passionate about mental health and/or harm reduction and want to get working quickly. Instead of spending 2 or 4 years studying, get your certificate in as little as 7-8 months full time.
“I’m excited about LINKS’ programs because I can use these skills to help people who are struggling in my community, without having to move away from home to study”.
Are you ready to start your career journey? Enter your contact details and click submit today!