Students will be introduced to the basic concepts involved in a helping relationship. Key concepts include identifying the difference between helping and regular relationships, identifying the stages in a therapeutic relationship, and learning basic interpersonal skills relevant for helping relationships. This courses uses a variety of teaching and approaches including recorded lectures and live class times. It is mandatory to watch the recorded lectures and participate in the live class times.
- Differentiate between a helping and a regular relationship
- Become competent in key interpersonal helping skills
- Understand and demonstrate the qualities of empathy, respect & client autonomy
- Demonstrate the understanding and practice of active listening
- Demonstrate the understanding and practice of responding therapeutically
- Demonstrate the understanding and practice of probing and summarizing skills