In mental health fields, there are important differences between a normal relationship and a helping relationship. Special skills such as reflective listening and being solution focused will make a difference in the lives of clients that you work with. Support workers must also understand the ethical obligations they have as members of the team.
- Differentiate between a helping and a regular relationship
- Become competent in key interpersonal helping skills
- Understand and demonstrate the qualities of empathy, respect & client autonomy
- Demonstrate the understanding and practice of active listening
- Demonstrate the understanding and practice of responding therapeutically
- Demonstrate the understanding and practice of probing and summarizing skills
Classes are online, live interactive, 12:40pm to 2:25pm, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, starting Monday July 5th, 2021. The last day of class is Friday August 13th. This zoom link will be used continuously for this course, at this time, for the duration of this term.