There is a science to communication in helping fields. Motivational interviewing (MI) is an important technical skill used in the mental health, addiction and related fields. Support workers will take their interpersonal skills in the helping fields to the next level by understanding the basics of motivational interviewing, including reflective listening and understanding client motivation.
- Describe what motivational interviewing is
- Understand the 4 processes of motivational interviewing
- Demonstrate an understanding of open-ended questions, affirmations and reflections
- Demonstrate an understanding of sustain talk and change talk
- Understand how a support worker might implement motivational interviewing techniques
- Understand the difference between MI approaches and non-MI approaches