Building on the basics of mental health challenges course, students will be given a basic introduction to the physiological mechanisms of mental health concerns, and the medications that might be used by health care professionals to treat them. This course will have a special emphasis on the role of the support worker in helping people who are experiencing a mental health concern and taking medication.
- Discuss why psychopharmacology is important
- Understand the role of support workers and psychiatric medication
- Undertand basic concepts of neurobiology
- Understand neurotransmitters involved in emotions
- Understand the categories of medication used in mental health
- Understand Specific mental health concerns and their treatment