In helping settings, clients are often provided services in a group setting. In this class, students will be introduced to the theories and practice involved in therapeutic communication for groups. Students will gain the skills required to support clients in therapeutic group settings, communicate in a therapeutic manner, and respond to any issues which might arise in group settings.
- Understand the general principles of therapeutic group work
- Describe and discuss the role of a therapeutic group leader
- Demonstrate an understanding of theories of group counselling
- Demonstrate an understanding of techniques in group counselling
- Describe and discuss initial and transition stages of a group
- Describe and discuss working and final stages of a group