Harm reduction (HR) is a set of values and practices intended to help minimize negative consequences of activities such as (including but not limited to) substance use and sexual activity. In part 1 of this 2-part overview, students will gain knowledge related to HR for alcohol, cannabis, and illicit substance use. This course is intended to help students develop the knowledge to work in settings that implement principles of HR, and to provide leadership skills in a support worker role.
- Understand and describe basic principles of harm reduction
- Discuss the ethical values and history of harm reduction
- Demonstrate an understanding of interpersonal approaches in harm reduction
- Understand and describe harm reduction approaches for alcohol use
- Understand and describe harm reduction approaches for cannabis use
- Understand and describe harm reduction approaches for illicit substances use