Sometimes people accessing harm reduction services might be experiencing a crisis such as a mental health emergency, the experience of trauma, or feeling suicidal. Support workers need the skills to respond to and support people experiencing crisis, for the safety of the individual, the worker, and others using services. In this course, students will receive an overview of crisis intervention with a focus on issues that clients in a harm reduction setting might be experiencing.
- Demonstrate an understanding of what constitutes crisis
- Discuss crisis assessment & intervention at an overview level
- Differentiate types of crises and discuss appropriate responses
- Understand the importance of multicultural awareness in crises
- Demonstrate an understanding of issues related to suicide and suicidality
- Describe and discuss violence risk & understand appropriate responses